ĐỀ TRẮC NGHIỆM 4
Chọn từ có trọng âm nhấn vào âm tiết ở vị trí khác:
1. A. private
2. A. property
3. A. solidify
4. A. apprehension
5. A. satisfactory
Chọn đáp án để hoàn thành câu:
6. Lightweight luggage enables you to manage easily even when fully …………..
7. The car always breaks down because of its old ………….
8. The information is strictly …….. and should not be discussed in public.
9. It was ……… easy for him to learn baseball because he had been a cricket player.
10. We were ……….. a mile of our destination when we ran out of petrol.
11. …….all the hard work they put in, the students got good exam results.
A. As a result of
B. In compared with
C. According to
D. In addition to
12. What a (n) …………….behaviour! He went straight into the line.
13. If you book in advance you will …… certainly have a better table at our
D. the most
14. He always complains about my ………………….to cook.
15. Although ……. satisfied with the contract, the officials hesitatingly agreed to sign
16. ……… children were injured. They all came back unharmed.
A. Not any of the
B. None of the
C. Not any of
D. None of
17. During the time I started to get chest pains, I ……… tennis a lot.
A. had played
B. have played
C. would play
D. was playing
18. I didnt know exactly how old he was, but he …..about 30 the first time we met.
A. should be
B. should have been
C. must be
D. must have been
19. The building work is still on schedule …………… a problem in digging the
A. due to
C. so as
D. only if
20. …………, he could not lift the trap door.
A. As he was strong
B. Strong as was he
C. As strong he was
D. Strong as he was
21. It is necessary to be careful ……………your career.
A. when choosing
B. when you will choose
C. when you have chosen
D. when you chose
22. Is this the address to ………………you want the package sent?
23. Of the two new secretaries, one is competent and ………….is not.
C. the other
D. the second
24. I …………in trouble now if I had listened to you in the first place.
A. wont be
B. wouldnt be
C. am not
D. wouldnt have been
25. The children …………. to the zoo.
A. were enjoyed to take
B. enjoyed being taken
C. were enjoyed to be taken
D. enjoyed taking
Đọc bài văn, chọn đáp án điền vào chỗ trống:
In this age of (26)______telephone networks and electronic mail, it seems that fewer
and even fewer people are taking time to sit down and write letters (27)_____friends
and relatives. For hundreds of years, letters were the only way to keep (28)_____
people who were any distance away and letter-writing was seen as an important skill
for all learned people (29)______ .
Gradually, (30)_____ , the importance of writing letters is decreasing to a point that
majority of us have to (31)_____ a special effort to turn out something worthwhile
when we apply for a job or make a complaint. In business circles the tendency is for
routine communications to become shorter. (32)_____ clients may appreciate a
detailed letter, an employee who sends out long letters is often regarded as
(33)_____ . Many people prefer the telephone in all circumstances and its speed is
essential in many situations but (34)______ have you put the telephone down,
dissatisfied with what you have managed to say? I dont think Ill throw my
(35)______ away yet.
26. A. progressive
D. all are correct
27. A. to
28. A. in step with
B. in contact with
C. on good terms with
D. in favour of
29. A. to be mastered
C. to master
30. A. therefore
C. in short
D. for example
31. A. make
32. A. Even though
B. As though
33. A. unimportant
34. A. how often
B. how long
C. how much
D. how about
35. A. letter
Đọc bài văn, chọn đáp án điền vào chỗ trống:
Some people believe that soon schools will no longer be necessary. They say that
(36)____ the Internet and other new technologies, (37)____ no longer any need for
school buildings, formal classes, or teachers. Perhaps this will be true one day, but
this is hard to (38)_____ a world without schools. In fact, we need to look at how we
can use new technology to make schools better, not (39)_______ them. We should
invent a new kind of school that is (40)_____ to libraries, museums, science centers,
laboratories, and even companies. (41)____ could give talks on video or over the
Internet. TV networks and local stations could develop programming about things
students are (42)______ studying in school.
Already there are several towns (43)______ this is beginning to happen. Blacksburg,
Virginia, is one of them. Here the entire city is linked to the Internet, and learning can
(44) _______ at home, at school and in the office. Businesses provide programs for
the schools and the schools provide computer labs for people without their own
(45)____ at home.
36. A. despite
B. because of
37. A. there are
B. they are
C. it is
D. there is
38. A. know
39. A. to eliminate
40. A. limited
41. A. Policemen
42. A. actually
43. A. which
44. A. take time
B. take part in
C. take place
D. take in
45. A. jobs
Đọc đoạn văn và trả lời câu hỏi:
Long ago prehistoric man began to domesticate a number of wild plants and animals
for his own use. This not only provided more abundant food but also allowed more
people to live on a smaller plot of ground. We tend to forget that all of our presentday pets, livestock, and food plants were taken from the wild and developed into the
forms we know today.
As centuries passed and human cultures evolved and blossomed, humans began to
organise their knowledge of nature into the broad field of natural history. One aspect
of early natural history concerned the use of plants for drugs and medicine. The early
herbalists sometimes overworked their imaginations in this respect. For example, it
was widely believed that a plant or part of a plant that resembles an internal organ
would cure ailments of that organ, Thus, an extract made from a heart-shaped leaf
might be prescribed for a person suffering from heart problems.
Nevertheless, the overall contributions of these early observers provided the
rudiments of our present knowledge of drugs and their uses.
46. What does this passage mainly discuss?
A. Cures from plants.
B. The beginning of natural history.
C. Prehistoric man.
D. Early plants and animals.
47. Domestication of plants and animals probably occurred because of ….
A. need for more readily available food
B. lack of wild animals and plants
C. early mans power as a hunter
D. the desire of prehistoric man to be nomadic
48. The word “this” refers to ……….
A. providing food for man
B. mans domestication of plants and animals
C. mans ability to live on a small plot of land
D. the earliest condition of prehistoric man
49. The word “blossomed” is closest in meaning to …..
A. produced flowers
50. An herbalist is which of the following?
A. A dreamer.
B. An early historian.
C. Someone who uses plants in medicine.
D. A farmer.
51. The phrase “in this respect” refers to ………
A. the development of human culture
B. the development of the field of natural history
C. the use of plants for drugs and medicine
D. the origin of knowledge of nature
52. The word “extract” is closest in meaning to …..
53. Which of the following can be inferred from the passage?
A. The shape of a plant is indicative of its ability to cure ailments of a similarly
B. Early herbalists were unimaginative.
C. The work of early herbalists has nothing to do with present day medicine.
D. There is little relation between a cure for illness and the physical shape of a plant.
54. The word “rudiments” is closest in meaning to …..
55. The passage would most likely lead to a more specific discussion in the field
Đọc đoạn văn và trả lời câu hỏi:
Simply being bilingual doesnt qualify someone to interpret. Interpreting is not only a
mechanical process of converting one sentence in language A into the same sentence
in language B. Rather, its a complex art in which thoughts and idioms that have no
obvious counterparts from tongue to tongue _ or words that have several meanings
must be quickly transformed in such a way that the message is clearly and accurately
expressed to the listener.
At one international conference, an American speaker said, “You cant make a silk
purse out of a sows ear”, which meant nothing to the Spanish audience. The
interpretation was, “A monkey in a silk dress is still a monkey” _ an idiom the
Spanish understood and that expressed the same idea.
There are 2 kinds of interpreters, simultaneous and consecutive. The former, sitting in
a separated booth, usually at a large multilingual conference, speaks to listeners
wearing headphones, interpreting what a foreign language speaker says _ actually a
sentence behind. Consecutive interpreters are the ones most international negotiations
use. They are employed for smaller meetings without sound booths and headphones.
Consecutive interpretation also requires two-person teams. A foreign speaker says his
piece while the interpreter, using a special shorthand, takes notes and during a pause,
tells the client what was said.
56. What is the purpose of the passage?
A. To explain the scope of interpreting.
B. To differentiate between simultaneous and consecutive interpreters.
C. To state the qualifications of an interpreter.
D. To point out the importance of an interpreter.
57. The author implies that most people have the opinion that the skill of interpreting
A. simpler than it really is
B. very complex and demanding
C. highly valued and admired
D. based on principles of business
58. The example “You cant make a silk purse out of a sows ear” is used to….
A. show the differences in language A and language B
B. stress the importance of word for word translation
C. emphasize the need for translation of the meaning of what is said
D. point out the difference in attributes of animals in English and Spanish
59. A precondition of being a translator is ……..
A. being a linguist
B. being bilingual
C. being able to use high-tech equipment
D. working well with people
60. Which of the following would a consecutive interpreter be used for?
A. A business transaction between 2 foreign speakers.
B. A large meeting of many nations.
C. A translation of a foreign book.
D. An interpretation of a major literary work.
61. What would a simultaneous interpreter be most in need of?
A. A dictionary or phrase book.
B. Advanced technical style in writing.
C. Headphones and a booth.
D. Shorhand skills and a notepad.
62. What is a difference mentioned between a simultaneous interpreter and a
A. The money they are paid.
B. The size of group with whom they work.
C. Their proficiency in the language.
D. The type of dictionary they use.
63. The word “converting” is closest in meaning to….
64. The phrase “the former“ refers to……
A. simultaneous interpreters
B. the booth
C. consecutive interpreters
D. the conference
65. The word “rather” is closest in meaning to….
A. on the contrary
B. as a result
C. in brief
D. in general
Chọn phần gạch chân cần được sửa:
66. There is a severe famine in Somalia , and thousands of people are dying from
C. are dying
D. from hungry
67. When many of my friends take a shower in the morning, I usually take one before
68. In our country the birth of a girl is not welcomed with an enthusiasm equal to a
A. the birth of a girl
D. equal to
69. The lady who had invited us heard me telling my wife the dinner terrible, so I was
C. the dinner terrible
70. The threat of being dismissed do not worry me any more because I have started
my own business.
B. being dismissed
C. do not worry
D. my own business
Chọn câu có nghĩa gần với câu cho sẵn:
71. The singer has given up performing live.
A. The singer is accustomed to performing live.
B. The singers live performance has been cancelled.
C. The singer used to perform live.
D. The singers performance has always been live.
72. The boy was not intelligent enough to have solved such complex problems alone.
A. The complex problems couldnt be solved because the boy was so stupid.
B. The boy was not intelligent but he managed to solve such complex problems.
C. The boy, though quite intelligent, couldnt solve the complex problems.
D. The boy together with someone else solved the complex problems.
73. Had the advertisement for our product been better, more people would have
A. Not many people bought our product because it was so bad.
B. Our product was of better quality so that more people would buy it.
C. Fewer people bought our product due to its bad quality.
D. Since our advertisement for our product was so bad, fewer people bought it.
74. Tom told his girlfriend, “Let me tell him if you cant”.
A. Tom volunteered to tell him if his girlfriend coundnt.
B. Tom advised his girlfriend to tell him if you couldnt.
C. Tom suggested that I should tell him if his girlfriend couldnt.
D. Tom asked his girlfriend to tell him if you couldnt.
75. Mary loves her mother more than her father.
A. Mary loves her mother more than her father does.
B. Her father loves her mother but Mary loves her more.
C. Her father doesnt love her mother as much as Mary.
D. Marys love for her mother is greater than for her father.
Chọn câu được viết tốt nhất với các từ cho sẵn:
76. Farming / what / provide / living / nearly 50% / our population
A. Farming is what provides a living for nearly 50 % of our population.
B. Farming is what is provided with a living for nearly 50 % of our population.
C. Farming is something what provides a living for nearly 50 % of our population.
D. Farming is what someone provides a living for nearly 50 % of our population.
77. Never / history / humanity / there / be / more people / live / world
A. Never in the history of humanity has there been more people to live in the world.
B. Never in the history of humanity there are more people living in the world.
C. Never in the history of humanity have there been more people living in the world.
D. Never in the history of humanity are there more people to live in the world.
78. She / sister / someone / I / used / play / when I / young
A. She is the sister of someone that Im used to playing when I was young.
B. She is the sister of someone I used to play with when I was young.
C. She is someones sister I used to play with when I was young.
D. She is someones sister Im used to playing when I was young.
79. She suggest / take / plane this evening / or / go / train tomorrow
A. She suggested taking the plane this evening or going by train tomorrow.
B. She suggested that we should take the plane this evening or going by train
C. She suggested taking the plane this evening or we should go by train tomorrow.
D. She suggested to take the plane this evening or to go by train tomorrow.
80. He / took / little notice / she / coming / kept / read
A. He took a little notice that she was coming in and kept reading.
B. He took little notice that she was coming in so he kept on reading.
C. He took so little notice that she was coming in and kept on reading.
D. He took as little notice as she was coming in so he kept reading.
ĐÁP ÁN ĐỀ TRẮC NGHIỆM 4